Diabetes is among the deadliest diseases in the world and more people are developing this condition yearly. The increasing number of cases is only a part of the disturbing facts about diabetes. A lot of the youth are having diabetes and this is very alarming. This shows that the disease does not choose what age, race, and gender of a person is before it attacks.
Food and Diabetes
It is a fact that the basic cause of diabetes is choosing the wrong kinds of foods in the diet. The simplest way, therefore, in combating diabetes is by making changes in what you feed your body.
The American Diabetes Association identified several food groups that give the most health benefits and this includes prevention of diabetes.
- Fiber- Rich Foods. A high fiber diet means inclusion of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, beans, and seeds. Not only do they make you feel full faster, they will also take those nasty oils and fats that accumulate in the bloodstream and eliminate them from the body. Fibrous foods can improve blood sugar control, lower the chances of having all sorts of heart diseases, plus make you lose weight by helping you not to overeat.
- Leafy Greens. Vegetables that come in a bright green hues means only one thing. They are laden with so many nutrients that are important in lowering the risk of getting diabetes. Experts have reported on the significance of green vegetables in the diet as they are associated with lowering HbA1c levels, one of the parameters used in determining diabetes.
- Non- Green Vegetables. Aside from the leafy greens, there are also vegetables that are full of nutrients despite being multi- colored. These are those non- starchy vegetables that are also proven good for diabetes prevention. Mushroom, eggplant, garlic, peppers, and onions are just some examples.
- Fresh Fruits. A good dose of fiber and nutrients won’t hurt, especially with those who want to avoid diabetes. Fruits are better alternative to sweet desserts so the risk is reduced further. There are even fruits like orange, melon, kiwi, and berries that have less sugar than others so glycemic effects will be minimized.
- Sprinkling some spice on your favorite food could help deter diabetes. Spices and herbs are rich with anti- oxidants that prevent some conditions that are associated with diabetes. Cloves and cinnamon will add more flavors, but will not increase blood sugar.
- Beans as Carbohydrates. Foods that are rich with carbohydrates are equal to consuming large amounts of sugar. With beans, carbohydrate is balanced with moderate protein and a lot of fiber. This means that the calorie content is reduced and less sugar is added on the blood. Diabetes can be avoided, but beans also serve as a great protection against colon cancer.
- Seeds and Nuts. For people who struggle with losing weight, a healthy serving of nuts and seeds may help. Seeds from pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower, plus macadamias, hazelnuts, pecans, and almonds are better choices than chips and other unhealthy snacks. They will also lower the chance of having insulin resistance which is a predisposing factor of diabetes.
- Healthy Protein. Most protein- rich meat in the market is laden with bad fat. There are healthy kinds of protein like salmon, sardines, and other kinds of fish that are rich with Omega- 3. Prawns and scallops too have this kind of healthy oil. For poultry, those that are organic or were fed with grass instead of feeds are the best.
- Green tea. Diabetics can drink coffee (no sugar). Although green tea has some amounts of caffeine, it can be tolerated and it has both detoxifying and antioxidant properties which are good for cleansing the body of everything bad including excess sugar.
- Some people love to munch on dried seaweed snacks. This is pretty good considering that seaweeds like nori, kombu, and wakami all contain minerals, protein, as well as healing compounds.
Once you are inflicted with diabetes, you suffer for the rest of your life. A lot of those who have it often regret their food choices prior to the condition. They relied on meat and unhealthy carbohydrate as their main source of energy. They got weak in the process and got diabetes in return. Worst is that diabetes is only the start. Pretty soon complications like heart ailments and kidney disease follow and managing the aftermath is made even harder.
This is why it is important to have some precautions that will lessen your chance of having it. Controlling what you eat can do wonders to your body, especially with maintaining a normal blood sugar. Giving your body superior nutrition is better than taking diabetes medication. Life expectancy will be improved, and a high quality of health is assured when you choose the right foods that defy diabetes.